In this project, we're going to build an asteroids game using just the keys on our keyboard!
1) Set your backdrop color and create a ship using a letter or character on your keyboard.
2) Have your ship turn right and left using the arrow keys.
3) Add a thruster that propels your ship forward when you press the up arrow. Have it speed up when you're pressing the arrow and slow down when you're not. If your ship goes past one side of the screen, have it appear on the opposite side.
4) Have your ship move in a different direction ONLY when you're thrusting (not when you press the left or right arrow). HINT: Try using an invisible sprite to separate your ship's rotation from its forward motion.
5) Give your ship a weapon and shoot it when you hit the spacebar.
6) Create asteroid sprites that start in random places along the edges of the screen and move in random directions. When an asteroid goes past one side of the screen, have it appear on the opposite side.
7) Have the asteroids split into two smaller asteroids when hit by a fire weapon. Have the new asteroids take on the same characteristics as the original asteroids. Tip: You may want to use the "DistanceTo()" function here.
8) If the new asteroids are hit, have them split again into even smaller asteroids.
9) If these asteroids are hit, have them disappear.
10) If an asteroid collides with your ship, have the asteroid split or disappear in the same fashion as it would if hit by a fire weapon. Have your ship hide when it is hit and reappear.
11) Give your ship lives and have it lose a life if it is hit by an asteroid. Display your ship's life count on the screen.
12) If all lives are gone, display a "Game Over" message and freeze the game.
13) Add instructions for how to play the game and display them on the screen.
14) Enhance your game by adding a score and visual and sound effects! Optional: Add a flying saucer that appears every so often.